Sarah P, Malc, Caz, Katie, Sally L, Rich J, Brian & Marjorie C, Debs W, Mark A
What are Small Groups all about?
- Pastoral Care
- Bible sharing
- Chance for questions – two way process
- Sharing things with people who support you. Ask silly questions and download of the week.
- About belonging for people, growing roots for them over time.
- Learning & praying together – making bonds
- Sharing testimony
- Sharing life together – practical help and support & celebrating birthdays etc.
- People appreciate small groups but don’t always initially know true value
- Draws different perspectives together
- Path of faith journey through to relationship with Jesus. Small groups can be the next step to accepting Jesus.
- Sense of community whilst meeting Jesus.
- Peoples faith commitment is more challenged in a home group setting
What is our Vision/Goals for Small Groups?
- Everyone in church to be in a small group
- Small groups should be an extension of the church
- Be more proactive and teach about why small groups are good
- Raise the profile of small groups
What do we want to do?
- Give a personal invitation especially to new people and use testimonies.
- Advertise times of groups, photos of leaders etc. Remembering that particular groups are attractive to particular individuals
- Have cards for people to fill in – details , availability, needs etc.
- Malc to consider preaching on small groups as part of the ‘in’
New process - going forward- for referring people to small groups?
- Refer all enquiries to Caz & Katie (joint Ministry team co-ordinators) All interested parties to fill in a homegroup card with their details and this to be passed on to co-ordinators.
- Caz & Katie will look at appropriate groups and have a conversation with the group leaders. Caz & Katie to have the wider picture, knowing whether a new group is being formed from enquiries. etc
- Give the individual the opportunity to trial attending a group
How will we grow small group Ministry?
- Offer discipleship courses eg. Freedom in Christ
- Group leaders to identify others who are capable/available of leading to assist with groups multiplying
- Should aim to have no more than 10 per group.
- Training for both groups and leaders
- Regular leaders meetings and praying together – supporting one another.
- Have church material to use as an anchor should groups want to use it.
- Should small groups be called small groups, life groups or home groups?
- Should bell ringers be in scope??
- The Vine needs some support and also a decision about whether it’s a small group or an outreach group.